10 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT OSTRICHES IN UGANDA:
Ostriches in Uganda are large flightless birds which are famously known for their speed and are only found in Kidepo Valley National Park. The ostrich [Struthio Camelus] is the world’s largest and strongest bird.
Visitors to the park have testified how they have enjoyed viewing the ostrich in the park. Situated in the north-eastern part of Uganda, Kidepo valley national park is one of the best places for wildlife and birding safaris.
FACTS ABOUT OSTRICHES IN UGANDA:
- Ostriches in Uganda have long necks, small heads and huge long legs with 2 pointed figures. Having a safari to Kidepo Valley National Park with Inspire African Safari will give you a chance to see these birds in their natural habitat.
- They can run as fast as 70km per hour, covering up to 5m in a single stride. But they can also walk at an average of 4km per hour.
- These birds like dust bathing, they burry their heads in the sand and the rest of the body is seen.
- The female and male ostriches have a height that raises 2.5m on average
- . The male bird is has brown eyes, pink neck and white features on the legs and tail while the female bird has brown and pinkish legs.
- An ostrich lays up to 15 eggs a month and each laid after every two days especially during the dry months of the year usually between February and June.
- The male is responsible for preparing the laying ground as it digs a hole of about 1 foot deep and 1 meter wide, then fills it with lake sand. This helps to generate warmth that would enable hatching of the eggs.
- They have a complex breeding system. One major and 5 minor ostriches can lay an average of 25 eggs in the same nest.
- During incubation, the female incubates the eggs during day while the male incubates at night.
- After 6 weeks, the chicks hatch and leave their nests after 4 days. They are fully mature at the age of 3 to 4 years.
- Ostriches in Uganda are omnivores which means that they feed on animal and plant matter. They feed on seeds, flowers, locusts, roots, fruits and many more.