LAKE ALBERT; UGANDA’S OASIS GEM.
Lake Albert is a rift valley lake straddling the border between Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo. It is the second-largest lake in the great rift valley and the 6th largest lake in Africa.
Lake Albert is approximately 160 km long and 30 km wide, with a maximum depth of 50m and an average depth of 20 m. It covers an area of 18900 square km and has a shore line of approximately 2400 km.
The lake is a fresh water lake with with a water volume of 140 cubic kilometers and a maximum water level of 780m above sea level. The lake’s water is relatively clear, with a transparency of around 4m in its deepest parts.
Lake Albert is fed by several rivers, including the Victoria Nile and it drains into the Albert Nile. The area surrounding the park is rich in biodiversity, with diverse flora and fauna. The lake supports a variety of fish species like the Nile perch, cat fish and tilapia. It is a fishing ground for the local fisheries.
The lake is surrounded by wetlands and forests which are home to wide range of wildlife. For example hippos, crocodiles and a variety bird species.
ACTIVITIES DONE IN AND AROUND LAKE ALBERT:
- Fishing; Lake Albert is a fishing ground known for its fishing opportunities with a diverse range of fish species and these include tilapia, lung fish and Nile perch. Visitors can rent a boat to explore the lake and catch their own dinner.
- Bird watching; The lake is a stopover for migratory birds, with over 250 species of birds recorded in the area. Visitors can spot a variety of water birds like the rare shoe bill, African skimmer and white winged tern.
- Boat cruise; Visitors can take a leisurely boat tour on the lake to explore its many islands and inlets. Boat tours offer a unique perspective of the lake’s diverse wildlife and scenic beauty.
- Community tours; Visitors can take a community tour where they will learn about the local culture and way of life of the “Bakiga” group. These tours offer a unique insight into the life style of the locals living around the lake. Visitors can also participate in traditional dances, music and food.
- Wildlife viewing; The lake is a habitat to a variety of wildlife such as hippos crocodiles and buffaloes. Visitors can take a boat tour to spot these animals in their natural home.
- Relaxation; After a day of exploring, visitors can relax on the lake’s sand beaches or in one of the near by lodges, enjoying the peaceful atmosphere and stunning views.
- Hiking and trekking; The surrounding hills and forests offer great hiking and trekking opportunities, with scenic views of the lake and its surrounding landscape. Visitors can hike to the top of the near by hills to view the famous “mountain of the moon.”
Lake Albert offers a wide range of attractions and activities for visitors ranging from fishing and birding to boating and hiking. Experience the lake’s unique culture, scenic beauty and wildlife with Inspire African Safari
Inspire African safaris is considered among the best safari companies in Uganda with experienced guides. Book your tour today to the amazing Lake Albert in Uganda with Inspire African Safari